How Long Does the Fire and Smoke Restoration Process Take?
A fire can be a devastating event for any homeowner or business owner, and it can be imperative to restore the property as soon as possible so a family or staff can safely return. However, there are many aspects of a fire disaster that can impact how long the process of fire and smoke restoration takes. Learn what the fire and smoke restoration process entails and what can impact the restoration process timeline.
What Is Fire and Smoke Restoration?
Fire and smoke restoration is the process of removing debris, restoring personal belongings, cleaning up a property, and repairing structural damage in a home or business after a fire. This process is essential to bring a home or business back to normal or even better because it eliminates health hazards from smoke and soot and can improve a space’s aesthetic for a fresh, clean look.
What Are the Steps in Fire and Smoke Restoration?
Here are the common steps in the fire and smoke restoration process:
- Ensuring the property is safe for technicians to enter.
- Assessing the property’s damage, both inside and outside.
- Containing damage to prevent damaging other areas.
- Removing debris and damaged items.
- Saving personal belongings and important items from the property.
- Cleaning and repairing salvageable belongings.
- Removing excess water and drying out the property.
- Deep cleaning the property from smoke and water damage.
- Deodorizing the space to remove the smell of smoke.
- Reconstructing walls, ceilings, and other structural elements.
Depending on the damage to a property, some of these steps may be left out. For example, a property may only need an initial cleanup of debris and a deep clean for smoke damage. Other properties with extensive damage may need water damage restoration and reconstruction in addition to everything else. Plus, some steps may take longer than others. Some properties may require less debris removal that only takes a few hours and more deep cleaning that takes a few days.
How Long Does Fire and Smoke Restoration Take?
The length of time it takes for fire restoration professionals to complete the whole process can depend on:
- The amount of structural damage.
- The severity of smoke damage.
- How large the property is.
- Whether the homeowner or business owner wants complete restoration, repairs, and replacements.
- A property owner’s budget and insurance coverage limitations.
Sometimes, with extreme damage, the restoration process can take six months or longer to complete. Other properties that only require restoration of a few spaces or minimal damage overall could take a few weeks to a few months.
What’s important to note is that the process will take half the time, or less, than a homeowner or business owner restoring a property on their own, making professional fire restoration services an effective and timesaving investment for many people. Even the Red Cross recommends choosing a professional fire and smoke restoration company.
It’s important to always consider the budget, insurance, and scope of the restoration project when choosing a restoration company. Consult with multiple companies and get estimates for price and timelines to help make your decision. Contact Steamatic to learn more about how long a fire and smoke restoration project will take, as well as the steps the technicians take to fully restore a home or business to its former state.