Why Do I Need Protectant on My Carpets?
Carpet can be a great feature in many homes, and properly maintaining it can keep a space looking comfortable and clean. One of the most important ways to maintain carpeting is by applying a carpet protectant to reduce the effects of spills, stains, and everyday dirt. Explore the reasons how carpet protectant works and why it’s important for maintaining carpet for years to come.
What Is Carpet Protectant?
Carpet protectant, also known as carpet protector, is a substance that attaches to carpet fibers and creates a sort of invisible shield that provides short-term water resistance. This helps prevent stains, reduces the soiling effects of everyday foot traffic, and makes it easier to vacuum up dry spills and debris.
How Often Is Carpet Protectant Applied?
Brand-new carpets typically have some form of carpet protector already on them, so it’s not necessary to apply new carpet protectant until four or five years after installation. But if the carpeting is more than four years old, then carpet protectant should be reapplied every 18 to 24 months to keep it as clean and fresh as possible for years to come.
While there are some carpet protectors on the market that homeowners can apply themselves, it’s best to leave this task to the professionals. That way carpeting is properly protected with a high-quality protectant. And a professional can make sure that the protectant is applied correctly for the best, long-lasting results.
Why Invest in Carpet Protectant
Here are some of the benefits of getting carpet protectant:
- More time to take care of spills: When something spills on a protected carpet, the substance will bead and stay on the surface for longer, giving homeowners more time to clean up spills. This can prevent stains and other long-term damage.
- Simplifies everyday carpet cleaning: A protected carpet means dirt, grime, and debris are a lot less likely to absorb or get stuck in the carpet. This makes vacuuming, scrubbing, and other DIY cleaning much easier and quicker.
- Makes professional cleaning a bit easier: Even if a carpet gets a regular deep clean from a professional, stains can still be tough and time-consuming to remove. Carpet protectant also makes a trusted carpet-cleaning professional’s job a bit easier and faster to complete.
- Protects against a wide variety of contaminants: Carpet protector also prevents mold growth, reduces bacteria’s ability to stick in carpet fibers, and resists oil- and water-based stains.
- Improves indoor air quality: Since carpet protectant makes it more effective to remove bacteria, mold, and other contaminants that impact health, a home’s air quality improves.
- Can reduce sun fade: Carpet protector also protects the fibers from losing their color or becoming discolored due to consistent exposure to sunlight.
- Extends the life of carpeting: When a carpet is easier to clean and less likely to get stained, it can stay in a home for much longer than unprotected carpeting can.
When getting a carpet cleaned, consider asking for carpet protectant to better maintain carpeting and save money on having to replace it in the near future. Contact Steamatic to learn more about carpet protection and cleaning options.